Make it: Dairy Free Lemon and Poppy Seed Muffins




When food shopping last week, I found a recipe card down the yogurt aisle and as it uses Alpro Soya Yogurt which is dairy free - I thought it was worth a go for my new found dairy free diet.  I substituted a couple of the other ingredients too, to make it completely dairy and gluten free and it seemed to work well, so I thought I would share it with you.  It also helps to redeem myself after our epic birthday cake fail!

The Ingredients:

225g plain flour - I used gluten free flour
140g caster sugar
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp lemon zest, grated
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp baking powder
1 egg
245g Alpro Simply Plain soya yogurt alternative
2 tbsp poppy seeds
100g melted margarine - I used soya spread

Heat an oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas Mark 6, and line a muffin tray with muffin cases.

In a large bowl sift the flour along with the baking powder. Next add the sugar, lemon zest, poppy seeds and salt, and stir to combine.


In another bowl whisk together the lemon juice, egg and Alpro Simply Plain.

Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry, being careful not to over-mix. Spoon into the muffin cases and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until well risen and cooked through.

I managed to make around 10-12 from the mixture, but the recipe states that it makes 8.  I suppose it depends on how big you want your muffins.

I also, made a second batch and added around 100g of Blueberries instead of the Poppy Seeds, these were just as yummy.  In fact, I took them to work and didn't say they were dairy or gluten free and no one noticed, which is always nice.  They are great with a glass of juice when its warm, or a good cuppa when you are cold.


You can find the recipe here along with many other good recipes and I used Doves Farm Plain Flour and Pure Soya spread to make my version of the recipe.  Normally with Gluten free flour you have to add an extra bit of liquid, but as this recipe uses the yogurt, I think it works just as well.

These are so easy to make and there would be some other really great variations.  You can buy the yogurt in lots of different flavours too, which I am sure would work just as well.

H

We would love to see if you have a go at this. Like with all our DIY's if you do, take a picture and share it with us on Twitter or instagram with the hashtag #livelovemake

 Live, Love, Make, Like, Share, Follow, Tweet, Pin, Add, Enjoy. 

Bloglovin / Twitter / Facebook / Pinterest / Google+