Make it: Red Carpet Worthy Dress Patterns


At Sew Crafty, we have five books of dress patterns for our customers to choose from. We stock Simplicity, Newlook and McCalls and can order Butterick and Vogue. As it is Awards Season and the 85th Academy Awards are this Sunday, I thought I would pick out my choice of the best 'Red Carpet' worthy patterns from our catalogues.

I am biased about the Newlook Pattern above as I used it to make my Wedding dress. 
We saw lots of trains and fishtails at the Golden Globes so I'm sure we will see more at the Oscars.

The panelling detail in the bodice of this Simplicity pattern is totally red carpet worthy, very similar to the Zac Posen that Kelly Osbourne wore to last years Emmy Awards

Kelly Osbourne in Zac Posen at the 2012 Emmy's

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t21/what-i-found/ValuablePatterns/v2931-12.jpg

Vogue Patterns were made for red carpet occasions, a wealth of choice is on offer but this fishtail, bow adorned gown is my winner. Again very close to the styles in the Zac Posen 2013 summer collection.

 Crystal Renn & Erin O’Conner in Zac Posen at The 2012 Metropolitan Opera Season Opening Night “L’Elisir D’Amore”

Butterick is my favourite pattern book for dresses, day and occasion. This 1952 Retro pattern is a gorgeous example. I love the version with the wrap piece attached. A bit of extra embellishment and it could be as stunning as this Dior gown worn by Andrea Riseborogh.

 Andrea Riseborogh in Dior

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/swstecker/6466m016_(Large).jpg

This frothy tulle number looks a little tacky on the pattern example sleeve, but as you can see, fabric choice and embellishment can make all the difference. A very similar style seen here a couple of years ago from Marchesa at the Oscars worn by young actress Hailee Steinfeld.

It just goes to show that fabric choice and embellishment goes a long way towards a red carpet look. Most of these patterns are, I would say, for intermediate sewers.  But maybe if you have an event to go to that requires a gown, have a think about having one made to measure? 

I am looking forward to seeing who is wearing what on Sunday night, and who walks away with an award of course.

Sammy xxx