Make it: Easy Coasters

A simple DIY today, something I have been meaning to make for ages.  It's that time of year when I am embarking on making gifts for my family and friends in time for Christmas.  I need to get my butt in gear so some quick and easy makes are the answer.  These modern decoupage coasters are a great gift for new homeowners any time of the year but the touch of gold makes them a lovely festive treat, you might even get asked to stay for tea to break them in, 


Step 1.  Get all your materials together, you will need: Coaster blanks or old coasters from a charity shop, decoupage papers, Mod Podge, a paintbrush and a sponge. 

Step 2.  Paint a thin layer of Mod Podge onto the right side of the coasters.
Step 3.  Smooth the paper over the coaster and smooth it down with a dry sponge.
Step 4.  If you are using a combination of papers like I have, make sure to glue under any pieces that overlap.  Then smooth over the whole area with the sponge.
Step 5.  Once the Mod Podge is dry, then cut off any excess paper leaving about 2.5cm all the way around. 
Step 6.  Cut slits into the edge of the paper, then with your brush add a thin layer of glue onto the paper edge and onto the back of the coaster to hold the paper down. 
Step 7.  Smooth the paper over the sides and onto the back one piece at a time to get a neat finish.
Step 8.  Finish off the front with a final thin layer of Mod Podge. I also added a thin piece of cork to the bottom of mine to finish them off nicely, If you don't have cork you could use some felt. 



I love how these turned out, I may have to keep this set for myself. Even though they look so pretty wrapped up. What gifts are you planning on making this year? I am aiming for 50% handmade and 50% me made so I still have some work ahead of me.

Sammy xxx


Bloglovin / Twitter / Facebook / Pinterest / Google+ / Instagram