Lets meet: The Things She Makes


Hi again, its Lets meet time and this month we are having a chat with a fellow blogger, so lets see who it is.

Hello! I'm Sophie from the blog The Things She Makes, where I share the things I make, or at least attempt to!

What was the first thing you remember making?
I was really encouraged to make things when I was younger and had a real range of materials to work with.  I remember making friendship bracelets and pressing flowers a lot and I've always been a card maker - grandparents birthdays in particular meant that I would be making something, whether painting a picture or creating a trinket gift.  I also liked to sew - I had some brilliantly bad attempts at fixing my leggings.  But the first real make I can remember is a little air dry clay flower wrap with dried lavender inside that I made for my Mum.  She still has it!

How did you find your creative side?
I think it's something I realised early on - that I wanted to and enjoyed making 'things, rather than felt I had to do.  If you were to ask my family, I'm sure they'd say I've always been creative.  I get very itchy fingers if I haven't made something in a while and I have many post-it notes and lists of ideas - it's something that I've always done.

What has been your favourite ever make? Whether that be for your business or pleasure – tell us about it.
Usually it's trying out those projects that start as an idea and completely work - often for me, its the process of making rather than the final DIY!  I have been honoured to make the Wedding stationery for a few friends, but my Brother's Wedding stationery has to be my favourite make - I loved every minute of it and seeing it all come together on one of the most important days of his life was pretty amazing.
Otherwise, anything that involves glitter and using my glue gun is always a winner for me.

What are your favourite ways to stay inspired?
The blogging community is hugely inspiring - and so supportive.  I'm also a huge YouTube watcher, Instagram stalker and Pinterest browser.  Anything, a colour, technique, pattern or medium can spark an idea or help me find the solution to something that might not have worked out first time.  If I'm stuck in a rut, looking over the lists of ideas I've previously made or left over materials can usually set me off on a project but I think it's also important to recognise when inspiration isn't there and not force it - a little break can be all that's needed to recharge.

Who are your favourite Designer/Makers right now?
Etsy and Instagram are my favourite place to find new makers. I'm a huge fan of typography at the moment (stationery in general, always!) and it's something that I can practice easily whilst my craft stash is in storage.  My current faves are Old English Company, Violet & Alfie, Elsie & Nell, Sir Albert Co. and Skandi Design.

What crafty item is top of your wishlist?
I'm late to the party, but I've wanted, ummmed and aaahhhhed about an electric cutter machine.  I really need one for all the sweet slogan jumpers, t-shirts and bags I have designed in my head!  I'm still window-shopping on that one though.

What do you like to do when you’re not working?
Making something - whether small or a large project - is usually my favourite way to relax and if I'm not doing that, I'll be researching or planning for it.  I'm a big coffee drinker, so I love a coffee shop trip and I can spend many an hour walking around HobbyCraft.  Otherwise, I'm visiting friends and family - particularly hanging out my little nephew!

Tell us a bit about what you have coming up?  any little projects you want to tell us about.
At the moment, I am in the middle of my biggest DIY yet - renovating my new home! Expect lots of house-related DIYs on the blog.  The room I'm most excited to start is the office/studio space!

Lovely to hear from Sophie about what she is getting up to and hear more about how she stays creative.  You can also find The Things She makes on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, You tube and Pinterest.  So plenty of places to stalk her!

See you next month!
H & Sammy, xxx

Bloglovin / Twitter / Facebook / Pinterest / Google+ / Instagram