Lets Meet: Peas and Needles

Since meeting Lucy at the Mollie Makes Awards we have been wanting to have her on for a chat and so now the time has come - its like Christmas has come early!  So lets hear all about Peas and Needles and what she has got coming up.


What was the first thing you remember making?
I have so many memories of making when I was growing up. The ones that stick out are being taught how to knit by my Grandma in the roasting hot sun in Tunisia, making Easter bonnets for my birthday every year and learning to sew with my Mum. Growing up with a crafty Mum is the best way to learn all the crafts, she helps me out all the time. Even when I call her asking for her advice and then I think I know better (!!!) I always end up redoing it her way!
How did you find your creative side?
I grew up in a very creative family so I think it was always bound to happen. Finding it hard to sit still in the evenings and always having a desire to create new things means I have self-taught myself a fair amount. I taught myself weaving about 4 years ago and am so happy to have found this craft. I think if I was to do one craft it would definitely be weaving.

What has been your favourite ever make? Whether that be for your business or pleasure – tell us about it.
Currently I am loving making macramé hangers. I have so many plants and I love texture so combining the two is very pleasing. Other than that I think it would have to be the weaving bicycle mock up I made for the Mollie Makes Awards. I have yet to photograph the bike but when I do I will let you know. It took me so long to make and the hard work really paid off as I managed to win the Creative Idea Award. Was a pretty special moment for me.

What are your favourite ways to stay inspired?
Living in Brighton there is an endless supply of inspiration. The Laines and the beach are my favourite ways to spend at the weekend. There are a lot of art events going on so I love to visit these too. Also I like to collect old textile books, especially weaving and macramé ones. Oh and also obviously Pinterest.
Who are your favourite Designer/Makers right now?
Definitely Maryanne Moodie, her weaves are another level! I don't know how she creates so many wonderful weaves. Also her colour choices are amazing!!! I could look at her work forever. Lucie Rie who was a wonderful potter and was a fan of the imperfections. She had a wonderful style and would love to own one of her pieces. Also Marilla Walker creates the perfect sewing patterns and am dying to make one of her jumpsuits. Might even print some fabric to create a definite one of a kind!

What crafty item is top of your wishlist?
This is a tough one, anything to do with weaving. Any kind of loom that I find that I don't have. I would love to have a go on a floor loom but I think I will stick with lap loom weaving for now. And wool, that stuff is my weakness. I can't stop collecting it.

What do you like to do when you’re not working?
My boyfriend and I recently bought a bright blue camper van which needs a lot of love and restoration so we have been planning this. We can't wait to work on it over the winter and go on trips next summer.
Tell us a bit about what you have coming up?  Any little projects you want to tell us about.
I have a few weaving workshops coming up over the next few months. I love to teach weaving, I love seeing people’s faces when they go home with an amazing wall hanging and a craft they get to carry on doing on their own. I'm also hoping to do a massive website revamp, this is always the bottom of the list. Hopefully I will knuckle down soon and finish it.
You can find all of Lucy's products including weaves and pins on her website along with finding out when her latest workshops are.  Who doesn't love a good weave!

H

Bloglovin / Twitter / Facebook / Pinterest / Google+ / Instagram