Makers Month: Let's Meet... East Wick


This month we thought it was about time that we sat down for a little chat with Roxi from the duo who make up East Wick (Hello Em!)  East Wick make Scented Soy Candles all handmade in East London and so perfect for our Makers Month and also considering Sammy has one in pretty much every scent, it is pretty much a firm favourite with us.

Anyway down to business!




What was the first thing you remember making?
When I was four I used to make myself little story books, that was before my little brother was born so I think I needed to entertain myself. I'd spend ages drawing all the pictures and cutting out the pages but cellotape was my nemesis because I could never find the end (I still can't).

How did you find your creative side?
My mum was really good at encouraging me to draw and make things from a young age, and then I think it just grew from there. Art and Design Technology (as well as Science) were my favourite subjects at school too, so I must be a creature of habit. I start to feel really anxious when I don't have some sort of creative outlet.



What has been your favourite ever make? Whether that be for your business or pleasure – tell us about it.
East Wick is the one I'm most proud of but for fun I knitted a little ghost for my friends birthday a few years ago, that was definitely one of my favourite things to make. He was about 2 inches big, took me way longer than I expected to finish and looked a little bit like a tadpole with arms - but I loved him and I can never make another one!

What are your favourite ways to stay inspired?
I like to look through old notebooks and sketchbooks when I feel stuck, especially when my notes or doodles make no sense! It reminds me that at that point I would likely explode if I didn't get what I was thinking down on paper.



Who are your favourite Designer/Makers right now?
Ahh there's a lot! I'm a die hard fan of Washed Out Soap Co, I'm always banging on about them but that's because their stuff is so good! Alex Pook-Leary is my new favourite illustrator, her work is beautiful! And Sam from Concrete Jungles always amazes me with her knowledge of succulent care and concrete! 

I also really love Michael McDowell's ceramic skulls and hand amulets (he goes by Mud Puppy on Etsy) and Scout & Catalogue's marbled leather goods. That's not even a fraction of my favourites but I'll get carried away if I don't stop now.

What crafty item is top of your wishlist?
I've had my eye on some pieces from Arma Glass at Netil Market for a while. It's my birthday this month and the hints have well and truly been dropped!



What do you like to do when you’re not working?
I work part time for a community charity when I'm not working on East Wick, so it's quite easy to forget to take some time out. But when I do I like to go on dates with Em (my wife and East Wick support system!).

Tell us a bit about what you have coming up?  any little projects you want to tell us about.
We've got a limited edition winter scent launching at the end of the month. It's Cranberry and Frankincense which has hints of bergamot and spiced apple in it, we'll definitely be burning this one until Christmas! We also have a little pop up event coming up in October and this will be our first round of Christmas craft fairs.



So much candle joy and so lovely to get to know the people behind a brand.  We can definitely relate to feeling anxious without having a creative outlet and think that Em and Roxi have got it just right.
Which scent would you choose? Sammy loves the Peppermint and Eucalyptus one.

H & Sammy, xxx

Bloglovin / Twitter / Facebook / Pinterest / Google+ / Instagram