Sammy's Top Ten Ways to Find Your Happy

I sometimes find it hard to be a happy person. People who know me (even those who know me well) may find that hard to believe, but I have been this way all my life. Having worked in retail for as long as I can remember, I ,like many others manage to find a 'happy face' that I put on like a mask and to hide behind when life is not so rosy.

Over the past year or so I have been working on getting rid of my mask and being happy from the inside. I think it is important for everyone, naturally 'happy' or not, to have little tricks to find the best in yourself and those around you. To relish the little things that make us smile and let go of the negativity that creeps in every now and again. I wanted to pass on some of the things I have learnt that work for me, in the hope that they might work for some of you.

There is only one rule before you attempt any of the following mood boosting activities... Turn off your tech!

1. My number one will be no surprise... Get your craft on! Whatever it is that you like to do, create something, anything just for fun. Not to sell, or to give to someone just because you can. Did you know that crafts like knitting and crochet have been shown to significantly help people cope with stress and anxiety?

2. Make a list, can be a list about anything, maybe a list of goals, or dreams. A wish list of all your summer wardrobe essentials or places in the world you would like to visit, anything as long as it is a list of happy positive thoughts. Getting some exciting, happy thoughts down on paper can help you to focus on what you want in life and you never know it might be the beginning of something wonderful.

3. Watch your favourite movie. Sit down with a cup of tea and a blanket, close all the curtains and just enjoy all the things you love about being entrained by your favourite actors doing their thing. I love the film Footloose, it always puts me in a good mood and because I have watched it so many times I know all the words! Love it!

4. Do a fun exercise, roller-blading, skipping, bike riding, anything you can do outside where you can breath some fresh air and take deep breaths, oh and have fun whilst you are doing it. I NEVER thought I would say that but I really find that getting my body moving makes me feel better.

5. Call a friend, You don't have to talk about how your feeling, just have a fun chat, talk about your favourite TV show or how much fun you had last time you were together.

6. Read a book, escape for a while into a world away from wherever you are.

7. Eat something healthy and colourful. A mixed salad with loads of different coloured peppers and onions and lettuce, or something sweeter like a mixed fruit salad with Kiwi, strawberries and blueberries. Honestly eating something healthy will make you feel virtuous and it being colourful will make it fun. Why not try making it look interesting by taking time to prepare it all neatly, maybe try fruit kebabs?

8. Have a sort out. rearrange, reorganise, renovate! Try sorting your wardrobe, you might find some treasures you forgot you had? or just make room for some new bits. Sort your craft stash, organise your kitchen cupboards, whatever your thing is, it will give you a great sense of achievement to de-clutter some of the old to create some room for something new.

9. Write a letter to yourself. You can choose to write to your future self or your younger self, but make it about all the things you wish for or about all the things you have achieved. Hide it away for a day when you are feeling down and need a pick me up.

10. Treat yourself to a pamper. Have a bath or a shower, use your best products, taking time to enjoy the fragrances and feeling of getting squeaky clean. Give yourself a manicure, use your favourite nail polish and take your time, don't rush yourself.

I really hope some of those will help any of you who might be struggling to stay positive. If you have anything that you do that helps you to boost your mood, please add it in the comments, or tweet us with the #MoreHappyMe I would love to hear about the things that make you happy.

Have a happy, joyful, positive, fun weekend
Sammy xxx



Bloglovin / Twitter / Facebook / Pinterest / Google+ / Instagram