Let's Meet: Alice Tams


We are back this year with our Let's meet series and this month we finally got a chance to have a chat with Alice Tam's of Birds in Hats fame!  I have loved her work since the very first Renegade we ever went to and so it was a great chance to meet up with the woman behind the scenes. So over to Alice.


What was the first thing you remember making?
I remember drawing an RSPCA advert when I was about 6 from a magazine, featuring a box of abandoned kittens... except I made them all fluffy and happy looking! I think I missed the point.



How did you find your creative side?
I'm not sure I ever went looking for it, it feels quite innate, though I must credit Mother Tams for providing me with the crayons and sketchbooks! I've been a prolific 'draw-er' since I can remember, though I get creative block like anybody else.

What has been your favourite ever make? Whether that be for your business or pleasure – tell us about it.
Tricky to chose! There are a few birds that I'm really happy with (my Flamingo, Great Tit and Little Egret are my current favourites!) - I'd like to learn a new skill this year though as I've been illustrating full time for quite a while now and perhaps resting on my laurels technique wise.

What are your favourite ways to stay inspired?
The internet is a blessing and a curse, it puts seemingly infinite inspiration at your fingertips but you can also lose hours/days if you're a serial procrastinator like me! Despite living in London for the past 7 years I find the natural world the most inspiring. Whether that means travelling, escaping to the country for a weekend or visiting a natural history museum, it always works for me as a tonic and an idea top-up.

Who are your favourite Designer/Makers right now?
Illustration wise I'm a big fan of KatieViggers of Eight Bear - Jewelery wise I'm slowly buying my way through the Wild Fawn collection by Emma and Sally at Hand Over Your Fairy Cakes makes some pretty fabulous pins.

What crafty item is top of your wishlist?
Either a potters wheel and a kiln to enable my growing ceramics obsession or a super fancy graphics tablet I can draw directly onto the screen with. I've wanted one for years and I think it might actually happen in 2016!

What do you like to do when you’re not working?
I read a lot, love a good TV series to get my teeth into or quite boringly, a walk in the park! If money and time wasn't an issue I'd probably spend 90% of my time travelling though, my next big trip is to China and Japan for a month in the Spring and I cannot wait.


Tell us a bit about what you have coming up?  any little projects you want to tell us about.
I'm just finalising the designs on a new series of pins I've been working on, can't wait to get them out in February. I'm also plotting some big (really big) prints this year - think life size Flamingos and Emperor Penguins! 


Just look at all the Birds in hats, how cool!  Gotta love how Alice makes them really come alive on the page and gives them such great personalities.

I have definitely got my eye on the colouring book, added that one to the 'things to buy' list.

H, xxx

Bloglovin / Twitter / Facebook / Pinterest / Google+ / Instagram