Live it: Owning My Own business


I have always wanted to work for myself, to have my own business. I was brought up to want that for myself, my Dad was quite insistent that it was something I should strive for, whatever industry I chose to go into, the goal was always to be independent.

So now that I do, I have my own business, It's lovely... right... 

Yes, yes it is really Awesome. However it is by no means the easy path. Running your own business is just that, the buck ultimately stops with you, and only you. You are responsible for every aspect of that business, delegation is a great tool, but it is just that, a tool to be used wisely. I am really lucky, I run my business with my parents, they are so supportive and with me every step of the way. I have learnt so much from both of them, and from my experiences with Sew Crafty. The biggest thing I have learned is that I LOVE my job, despite it being challenging and a lot of hard work, I really couldn't picture myself doing anything else right now.

There are so many things I love about what I do...

I work in an industry that I adore... I have never known an industry like it, the Haberdashery/craft/sewing world is just so amazing. I have met so many lovely people over the years, customers, sales reps, advertising reps, editors and other business owners that I am so proud to call my friends.

I work with my family.... Working with my Mum every day and with my Dad on the behind the scenes stuff makes me so happy, I am lucky to have a really great relationship with my parents, I am so grateful to them for trusting in me and pushing me to achieve.


I get to create... all day, everyday and I get to play with pretty things, I never knew when I was studying at school that a 'job' would be so much fun.

Inspired... I am surrounded by inspiration everyday, sometimes it can be a new catalogue from a supplier, or a customer who comes in with a challenge for us to help them with. 

Exceeding expectations... my least favourite common phrase of the last ten years is 'you don't sell .........., do you? I would like to ban the use of this negative question.  However it is so lovely when I get to say ' yes we absolutely do' seeing the smile on the previously dubious face is one that cannot be compared.

Helping people... I always thought that this would be the part where I came unstuck, I have never felt confident in a teaching role, but as it turns out, I am pretty good at it. It doesn't always involve a 'class room' situation, sometimes it is as simple as giving an opinion on which buttons I like best on a customers garment. Sometimes all the help people need is a second opinion. Helping customers to realise their vision is one of the happiest parts of my job.

Happy customers... not every customer is happy, some are challenging, as in all areas of retail, but we are so lucky to have so many happy customers. They make me smile on a daily basis

Rising to the challenge... We have a lot of customers who throw us a 'Challenge' whether it's matching a button, or a ribbon colour, or a product they don't expect to find with us. Everyday I am put to the test, sometimes it means sending the to a place we know that may have what they need, but most of the time we get to surprise them by having what they need.

Like any job there are pros and cons, I am grateful everyday that my job is mostly fun, happy and ultimately rewarding.

Do you love your job? do you own your own business?
Try making a list of the things you love about it.  On those hard days take a look at it and remember why it's worth it. You won't regret it.

Sammy xxx