Make it: H and The never-ending Dress

Image Courtesy of www.sewessential.co.uk
About a year ago I embarked on a Dressmaking course at an Adult Education College in Hammersmith.  I wanted to learn more about how to use a pattern to make something rather than just knock things up in my own unique way!

I started with an easy 1960's shift dress style from Simplicity, I learnt how to measure myself, find out the size on the pattern, usually go the size bigger by the way, just to give you a bit of room to manoeuvre, as if like me you are a different size on top than on the bottom part of your body!

Then came the cutting, sewing, shouting, unpicking, Zip inserting (a concealed zip by the way!), Darting, more shouting, unpicking and then the basic shape was formed!  It then took me another 8 months to get around to finishing off the hems and seems and finally yesterday it was complete!  Please do excuse the chopped off head photo, it really was not a good look!



So, yes I did make it easy on myself and do it in black, rather than a bright or patterned print.  I thought it easier for my first attempt!  I am not completely happy with it, but a few things I can improve on is better for the next time, right!  At least I can wear it out of the house now as it's made of suiting fabric and so not ideal for the summer months!

My next challenge is to make a dress that doesn't take me 8 months to complete!!!  hmmmm, this could be harder than I thought!

Make it
H