Live it: Knitting and Stitching show at Ally Pally 2011


I have always wanted to go to the Knitting and Stitching show at Ally Pally, my customers are always talking to me about how great it is, but it has always been on a weekend when I have been working, So this year when the dates were announced I booked holiday!

I have to say I may have set my expectations a little too high. Don't get me wrong I was glad that I had visited, the displays of creative embroidery and handmade textiles were stunning, but it was soooooo busy I found it really hard to see any of the stores properly. I felt like I was missing a lot of things and I didn't feel like there was much in the way of new trends or products that I really wanted to get my hands on.




This was the decopatch stand, lots of people covering papermache in little bits of paper, looked really cute.


The thing I did love was that there was colour everywhere! Gorgeous displays of fabric, threads and beads!

So I decided to get some fresh air and walk back to the tube station, and I am so glad I did, I got a lovely view of London in the Autumn sunshine.

And a really good look at the outside of Alexandra Palace, oh yes and the old BBC radio tower.

I jumped Back on the tube and headed over to visit the lovely H, Interning at The Make Lounge.
I had been meaning to check it out for ages. So I scooped up Heather and we popped down the road for Tea and Cake....obviously!

We ended up at Fig & Olive, where they have the most amazing Lampshades and Awesome Cakes!!


On our way back we popped in to Ray-Stitch which has also been on my want-to-visit list since it opened its doors a few months ago. I gave in to temptation and bought some fabrics.... bad Sammy!
Back at The Make Lounge, H showed me round, and yes I bought some more fabrics, before heading home.

It was a busy day, and I was glad I had visited the knitting and stitching show. Maybe I have been spoilt by having my own business by going to trade shows as opposed to public shows and being in the industry, But I feel as a consumer that I much prefer visiting independent stores to buy crafts and haberdashery than a big show like this one, it is nice to see lots of businesses all in one place, but it was so overwhelmingly busy I felt I didn't get to see anything properly. Maybe I will try and go again next time and head in earlier to beat the crowds.  

So now I just have to come up with some lovely things to make with all the fabric I bought.

Sammy xxx